Wednesday 24 September 2014

The Big 'IF'

Everything is possible for one who believes. Immediately the boys father exclaimed,  "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief! - Mark 9:23
A certain man had a demoniac son, who was afflicted with a dumb spirit. The father, having seen the futility of the endeavors of the disciples to heal his child, had little or no faith in Christ, and therefore, when he was bidden to bring his son to him, he said to Jesus, "If thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." Now there was an "if" in the question, but the poor trembling father had put the "if" in the wrong place: Jesus Christ, therefore, without commanding him to retract the "if," kindly puts it in its legitimate position.

How many times have we put the 'if' in our prayers? How many times have we wondered whether Jesus was sovereign enough to do the thing we desperately need him to do? In this particular passage Jesus seems to say there should be no if' about His power, nor concerning His willingness, the if' lies somewhere else.



 I have wrestled with this truth one too many  times. I have whispered in those silent prayers... If" Jesus can help me--"if" he can give me grace to overcome temptation--"if" he can give me pardon--"if" he can make me successful? Slowly i have come to realize "if" you can believe, He both can and will.If you can confidently trust, even as all things are possible to Christ, so shall all things be possible to you. 

So the next time you feel things are a bit chaotic and you need a Texas sized miracle, believe in Him who is sufficient and sovereign enough to do it all ( yes, despite your minute self), especially when you cant feel or see it.

Then you will quietly calm those storms with a quiet answer......i do believe Lord; help me overcome my unbelief 

Have a faith-filled day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment